> The Beesley Buzz: "My name is Sarah Jane Smith and once I travelled around the stars. I went to places beyond my wildest dreams...I saw amazing things out there in space but there's strangeness to be found wherever you turn. Life on earth can be an adventure too. You just need to know where to look."

"My name is Sarah Jane Smith and once I travelled around the stars. I went to places beyond my wildest dreams...I saw amazing things out there in space but there's strangeness to be found wherever you turn. Life on earth can be an adventure too. You just need to know where to look."

This photo is my entry into Moneysupermarket.com's #PhotaYourMota competition
Ok, ok my name is not actually Sarah Jane Smith and I haven't actually travelled in space (yet!) But I do have one thing in common with Sarah Jane, the space travelling, alien fighting, sonic-lipstick carrying heroine from Sarah Jane Adventures and that is my favourite car. My absolute dream car would be a Nissan Figaro like Sarah Jane Smith's!

I know there is zero chance of that right now as for starters we couldn't fit us all in - but a girl can dream, eh?

I have chosen the above photo as my entry into Moneysupermarket.com's Phota Your Mota competition which is being judged by top photographers Jason Dodd and Nigel Harniman. I am well aware that I am not the best at taking photos - but that doesn't stop me from trying!

So armed with a camera each, me and my 7 year old son (who is usually more at home in the kitchen in front of a camera than behind one), set off to get some photos of Sarah Jane's car. We had spotted this Nissan Figaro in a town around 10 miles away from us on several occasions in the past and me and the kids had always been rather excited each time we spotted it.

This time was different. I had to actually manage to get a photo of the car (and ideally a reasonably good photo of the car). Adrenalin was really pumping. Me and D felt like we really could be the real Sarah Jane and one of her young side-kicks. Would we be spotted? Would we be questioned? Would we even be able to track down the car?

I'm not sure exactly what our 'crime' was that I was worried that we were committing by simply taking a few photos of a car we like - but it certainly felt like we were in an undercover operation.

We parked our car around the corner. We checked there was no-one around. We casually walked towards "Sarah Jane's" car. Cameras out and snap, snap, snap.

Suddenly...A lady approaches us...

"Is this your car?" she asks. (Oh no, we've been caught red-handed. Exactly what we've been caught doing, I'm still not quite sure).

"Um, no" I explain. "We just really like the car so we just wanted a few photos of it." D nods dutifully. Phew. Has she believed us? Is she the owner of the car?

"It is a really cool car" she agrees in her American accent as she takes out her camera and takes a photo of it too! Phew - she was just a tourist passing by. We got away with it.

So we didn't have any alien encounters on our Sarah Jane style adventure but at least that encounter with the American lady confirmed that we have good taste in cars as she seemed to really love it too!

The reason I picked the above photo as my entry is partly because the wheels are just so quirky. They actually differ from the wheels on the one used in the Sarah Jane Adventure's programme but these are way more quirky and look so different from what car wheels generally look like. As Sarah Jane says "there's strangeness to be found wherever you turn".

There's something so beautifully simple and retro about their style. The word FIGARO is inscribed across the centre of the silver circle on the wheel. The silver is so shiny, and the white so white, that it is immediately apparent that this car owner certainly cares about their car. You can even see a reflection of the green grass and the house on the opposite side of the road actually in the wheel!

In this photo, the wheel arch and car colour seem to frame the photo perfectly. It didn't need any cropping or editing in any way.

The photo just shouts out to me that it is the perfect wheel for the perfect car!

Just to see the wheel in context, here is the car in full:


And the photos we took today will always remind me of my own special adventure with my son. Our very own version of Sarah Jane Adventures where "life on Earth can be an adventure too. You just need to know where to look".
 

Caught red-handed: D's photo of me and my camera
 
It might not enable me to space travel but the Nissan Figaro would be my favourite car to travel in.


And in case you still haven't figured out what I am talking about with all my crazy talk of space and aliens, you can find out about CBBC's Sarah Jane Adventure's here.
 
This blog post (with the first photo shown at the top of the blog post) is my entry into Moneysupermarket.com's Phota Your Mota competition. None of the photos in this post have been photo-edited other than to remove the digits from the number plate for privacy. I would like to tag the following bloggers who may wish to take part:

In memory of Elisabeth Sladen 1 February 1946 – 19 April 2011. This family was a big fan of hers in her role as Sarah Jane Smith.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. thanks Eileen. We think it is pretty cool too! x

      Delete
  2. Ooooh how exciting! Now I want to know the next instalment - where was the owner? Who is the owner? What was she doing while you were photographing her car? What would she have said if she caught you???? More!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think there'll be a next instalment - I'm too nervous to go back there! x

      Delete

We have disabled commenting on the blog due to the volume of spam comments these days. If you want to get in touch, please ping us a message on social media.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...