> The Beesley Buzz: Book review: My New Home by Marta Altes

Book review: My New Home by Marta Altes

 My New Home is a new children's picture book by author-illustrator Marta Altes. We were sent a copy of this book by Pan Macmillan to review.

Whilst the book is, on the surface, about moving house, it could also be related to children facing any new situation - starting preschool or school, changing schools, making new friends or finding themselves feeling lonely.

With its beautiful illustrations, and simple storyline, I would say the book is primarily aimed at preschool / early school years age children. However, because of the underlying message about new situations and making new friends, I can see this book appealing to children older than that too.
For example, when my boys went back to school last year after being homeschooled, a story like this could have helped with the transition stage. Even though J is nearly at secondary school age, he finds new situations and change difficult at times because of his aspergers. So I can see this book being used to aid his next school transition.

Even though he is an avid reader, with a reading age well ahead of his years, like many children do, he often finds comfort in books with plenty of illustrations and a simpler story at times of uncertainty. So this book is one I could even share with him and use it as a talking point to discuss any worries or concerns he may have.

A beautifully illustrated hardback book like this would make a perfect gift too. I can see Marta Altes' books becoming ones to keep and treasure forever!

My New Home by Marta Altes is available from Pan Macmillan.

Disclosure: We were sent this book for the purposes of review. All opinions are our own. 

2 comments:

  1. I do like it when books have subtle meanings to help kids.
    Bless Miss T.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Rachael. I love kids books and especially when they have a special meaning too. x

      Delete

We are currently using word verification due to spam comments. Sorry for the inconvenience.
We love receiving comments and read every one even though we don't always get the chance to reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...