> The Beesley Buzz: We made our first ever Swiss Roll! (with home-made gooseberry and passionfruit filling)

We made our first ever Swiss Roll! (with home-made gooseberry and passionfruit filling)


We've had the baking bug long before this years GBBO started as Miss T asked to do cooking pretty much every day! But we've never cooked Swiss Roll before so that was inspired by last Wednesday's Bake Off. 

I came across this recipe at Waitrose and decided to amend it to use up some sweet gooseberries I had in the fridge. 

I made a kind of gooseberry and passionfruit jam / puree for the filling. Here's the recipe for that part.

Ingredients: (just for the filling, for the main recipe for the sponge, see here)
250g punnet sweet gooseberries (they are a reddish colour rather than the usual greenish colour of gooseberries)
2-3 tbsp caster sugar
dash of madeira
a little water
1 passionfruit

Method:
1. Cut the goosberries in half and place in a pan on the hob with a little water and the caster sugar and bring to the boil. Then reduce the heat and simmer until it reduces and thickens. Add a tiny dash of madeira.

2. Towards the end of cooking, add in the flesh of 1 passionfruit by cutting in half and scooping out the flesh including the seeds. 

3. Then push through a seive to remove all the seeds. I added a little shopbought raspberry coulis to it to make sure I had enough to cover the sponge. 

Whilst your puree is cooking you can prepare the swiss roll. 

It is actually a lot more straight forward than I imagined. I followed the Waitrose recipe using 3 beaten eggs whisked with 100g caster sugar for about 8 minutes. Then folded in the flour. I used a metal spoon as suggested but just read somewhere today that using a whisk to very gently fold in might be better so I'll try that out next time. 

It was baked in the oven at 200C in a lined tin. I did it for a strict 10 minutes which worked out perfectly in my oven. 

I remembered to turn it out whilst warm and roll in a fresh piece of baking paper - but initially I forgot to dust the baking paper with icing sugar so I quickly removed it, added icing sugar to the other side of the baking paper and tried again because in those few seconds it had started to stick to the paper - whoops!

It rolled really well and when it was cool, I unrolled it and added my gooseberry and passionfruit jam/puree and re-rolled. 

The whole family was impressed that it had turned out so well for my first attempt! 


Miss T of course had to get involved too and she insisted on wiping the surfaces which is also an important job to learn in the kitchen so I had no objections. 



2 comments:

  1. wow what a great looking swiss roll! Perfect rise and swirl - i have added this to the GBBO pinterest board x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you - i was pretty amazed it turned out well too! Must be beginners luck. Thanks for pinning x

      Delete

We are currently using word verification due to spam comments. Sorry for the inconvenience.
We love receiving comments and read every one even though we don't always get the chance to reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...