Here are 3 more of my favourite breakfast ideas from the meal plan.
Blueberry brown rice porridge
250g Tilda® Brown Steamed Basmati Rice pouch
300ml semi-skimmed milk
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp of chia seeds
1 banana, sliced
Drizzle of honey
• Combine the pouch of Tilda® Brown Steamed Basmati Rice, milk and cinnamon in a pan. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes
• Beat the egg in a small bowl
• Temper the egg by whisking in some of the hot rice, a tablespoon at a time until you have incorporated about six tablespoons
• Stir the egg mixture into the rice along with the vanilla and seeds and continue cooking over low heat for one to two minutes to thicken
• Stir in the sliced banana and blueberries and drizzle with honey just before serving
I actually omitted the egg from this recipe as I struggle with managing to eat eggs at breakfast time and thought it was fine without.
Bircher muesli with rhubarb and ginger compote
500g rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 3cm chunks
Zest and juice of 1 orange
3 cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
2 tbsp honey
150g carton unsweetened soya yoghurt
Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas mark 4.
Put the rhubarb, orange zest and juice and fresh ginger in an ovenproof dish and drizzle with the honey. Cook in the oven, uncovered, for 30–40 minutes. Allow to cool and then transfer to an airtight container. This will keep in the fridge for up to 1-2 days.
Put the yoghurt into a bowl and stir in the oats. Chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour (overnight is preferable). When ready to eat, swirl in 2 tablespoons of the rhubarb compote.
Note that the photo I took doesn't really do this justice - It might look a bit strange but it does taste great - especially for rhubarb fans like me!
Greek yogurt with pomegranate and almonds
½ pomegranate, seeds only
10g chia seeds
1 tbsp of chopped or flaked almonds
1 serving yoghurt
Place the Greek yoghurt in a bowl, followed by the pomegranate seeds, raw almonds and chia seeds.
So I've got no excuses to not eat well at breakfast time now.
Recipes reproduced with kind permission from Tilda. All the recipes can be found in the Tilda 'The Mood Food Manual'.