> The Beesley Buzz: Book review: Death In The Rainy Season, by Anna Jaquiery

Book review: Death In The Rainy Season, by Anna Jaquiery

Review by Richard Beesley.

Commandant Serge Morel is on holiday in Cambodia, visiting the temples and historical sites whilst trying to avoid the hectic noisy crowds. It isn't long, however, before he is summonsed from his break by his bosses back in France - not back home, but to Phnom Penh. A French man has been found brutally murdered, and Morel is asked to assist with the investigation. With no forensic service, and scant regard for preserving evidence at the crime scene, Morel has his work cut out supporting a disinterested local detective.

It isn't long, of course, before the investigation starts to uncover dark secrets, hidden worlds and long-standing deception. 

I decided part-way through this book that I knew who the murderer was. Then I changed my mind three times, before settling on my original suspect. Surprisingly, I was right... but I never did work out the motive until it was revealed.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Anna Jaquiery writes in a very matter-of-fact style, giving emphasis on the key points and developing the scene around. I really felt I could hear and smell and see the bustle and rains and mud of Cambodia.

Death In The Rainy Season, by Anna Jaquiery, is published by Pan Macmillan and is available from their website.

Disclosure: Pan Macmillan sent me this book to keep for the purposes of review. All opinions are our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We have disabled commenting on the blog due to the volume of spam comments these days. If you want to get in touch, please ping us a message on social media.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...