> The Beesley Buzz: Why do my joints hurt more in winter?

Why do my joints hurt more in winter?

As I've had arthritis since the age of 10, I have many many years of experience to draw on and there is no doubt about it that, like many others, I have noticed a correlation between how bad my pain is and what the weather is doing.

The summer months are generally a lot kinder on my joints and wet rainy cold weather often takes its toll on my body.

I've never understood why though but receiving this information from GOPO made me understand that there is a hypothesis behind what has often been considered to be an old wives tale.

Whatever the actual cause might be for the worsening of joint pain in the winter months, finding a way to help alleviate some of that pain is most important to me. So I'm happy to share these tips from GOPO.

I've found that since taking GOPO the stiffness I'd been experiencing in my back has improved enough to keep me taking the GOPO. It does worsen on the bad days but compared to when I wasn't taking GOPO, there is a definite improvement overall.

This time last year, prior to my hip replacement operation,  I had to stop taking ALL my medications and supplements including GOPO. During the time that I was not taking it I would awake in the night with the most excrutiating of pain in my hip joint where the osteo-arthritic damage that had been caused to my hip joint from JIA would cause my hip to seize. That was when I knew just how effective the GOPO was as it had helped prevent that level of pain from occurring during the time I was taking it.

Whilst I usually like to write all my own content for the blog, on this occassion, so much of what GOPO have put together resonates, that I'm happy to share it in it's entirety below in case it helps someone else suffering from joint pain:
Image Courtesy of GOPO
Information supplied by and written by GOPO:

If you’re a joint pain sufferer, you may have noticed that the onset of wintery, cold and wet weather can make joints ache more than usual, adding an extra burden on top of the miserable weather - although it’s not precisely clear why this happens.

Consultant Rheumatologist Dr Rod Hughes says;

“People who suffer from arthritis may experience increased pain and stiffness during colder months. This may be because low barometric pressure has a physical impact on the joints or that it encourages inflammation making joint movement more painful. In addition, during cold weather, the body focuses on circulating blood around the core and major organs and away from muscles and joints. As a result, the joints may seem less flexible.’’

For joint pain sufferers looking for a solution to their winter joint pain, a clinically backed supplement may offer hope. There is a large body of evidence supporting the use of GOPO® – a natural anti-inflammatory compound derived from rose-hip – to reduce joint pain.

Numerous clinical studies suggest that GOPO® reduces joint pain, swelling and stiffness, improves joint mobility and reduces the need for painkillers in arthritis sufferers. Recent research into active, healthy adults also found that 12 weeks of GOPO® supplementation led to reductions in joint pain and improved mobility, potentially also helping to reduce degeneration of cartilage.

Additionally, a new study has found GOPO® is not only able to reduce the pain of osteoarthritis (OA), but also significantly improve sleep quality, mood and well-being in OA sufferers.


TOP TIPS

If you’re dreading the winter months, why not try these four easy steps to help ease aches and pains and keep you feeling your best this winter, whatever the temperature;

Fit and well

Regular exercise is great for keeping joints healthy and supple, so don't let the cold weather turn you into a couch potato. Perhaps try low impact indoor exercises such as swimming, yoga or walking on a treadmill. Exercise not only loosens and lubricates stiff joints, but helps prevent winter weight gain that puts more stress on painful joints.

Supplement your diet

There is a large body of evidence supporting the use of GOPO® – a natural anti-inflammatory compound derived from rose-hip – to reduce joint pain. Studies suggest GOPO® can relieve joint pain and improve joint mobility in both sufferers of arthritis and active healthy adults.

The heat is on

Stiff, tense, and sore muscles can be relaxed and relieved with a little heat, and joints are no different. Try a heat pack or a warm bath to help soothe stiff joints and relax the muscles around the joints. Use heat application for at least 15 minutes before exercise and then again immediately following exercise – as well as every time you need additional relief from nagging joint pain.

Lift your mood

Lower mood during the winter months can mean that your pain feels worse, as your perception of pain can change if you’re feeling more depressed. It’s important to carry on doing things throughout the winter months that you know give you a ‘lift’ usually, whether it’s spending plenty of time with friends, treating yourself, or carrying on favourite hobbies. Regular exercise is also helpful in boosting your mood and overall wellbeing. If you're struggling with low mood, you can also see your GP for further advice.



Disclosure: The content for this post has been supplied by GOPO. Since taking part in the 12 week GOPO trial for our blog back in 2014 I have continued to take GOPO and GOPO have kindly supplied me with GOPO. No payment has been received for this post.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

We have disabled commenting on the blog due to the volume of spam comments these days. If you want to get in touch, please ping us a message on social media.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...