> The Beesley Buzz: Feta, walnut and fig & apple chutney quick bread

Feta, walnut and fig & apple chutney quick bread

This year I missed baking along with bread week on GBBO. It coincided with our Vancouver holiday so I had to catch up with watching it once we got back but I still didn't find them time to bake for that week's theme.

Until now that is. I found an out of date jar of Baxters apple, fig and cider chutney. We love this stuff but I must have stocked up at some point and lost a jar at the back of the cupboard. 

I decided that it would taste good in a quick bread. So here's what I did:
Ingredients:
100g feta - crumbled
75g walnuts
150g Baxters apple, fig and cider chutney
300g plain flour
200g wholemeal flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp salt
400ml buttermilk (I made some from milk and lemon juice left standing for 10 minutes - around 1 tbsp to 1 cup milk but I needed a couple of cups to make the 400ml)

Method: 
1. Preheat oven to 180c (fan). Line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Combine the feta, walnuts, and chutney.
3. In a separate bowl combine the flours, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
4. Mix the contents of both bowls together and add the buttermilk to form a dough. 
5. On a floured surface, knead lightly to fully combine the ingredients and shape into a round. Dust with flour and place on the baking tray.
6. Make deep cuts in the shape of a cross to look like it is being cut into quarters.
7. Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes. I ended up baking it for around and hour as the middle struggled to cook. I think next time I would divide the dough to make two smaller loaves. 

We all liked the flavour so overall it turned out well.


2 comments:

  1. There is NOTHING better than home made bread. It's been on my 'to make' list for AGES, I've got to try this one it looks divine !!

    www.myfroley.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you - I was pleased with how it turned out given it was a bit of an experimental recipe! x

      Delete

We have disabled commenting on the blog due to the volume of spam comments these days. If you want to get in touch, please ping us a message on social media.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...