> The Beesley Buzz: Lemon, poppy seed and basil loaf cake

Lemon, poppy seed and basil loaf cake


One of my favourite cake flavour combinations has to be Lemon and Poppy seed. In the past, I've made gluten-free lemon and poppy seed cupcakes and even a vegan version of a lemon and poppy seed cake for GBBO's Vegan week bake along back in 2018. 

Lately I've been really into baking loaf-cakes. They seem to have a reliability about them that I don't seem to master with a circular shaped cake! So it made sense to try a lemon and poppy seed loaf cake. To give it an extra flavour twist I also included some finely chopped fresh basil. 

If I can get away with it, I often try to reduce the amount of sugar and fat in cake recipes. So I got away with 100g of caster sugar in this recipe and used a combination of greek yogurt and butter so that I didn't need loads of butter. Both of these tweaks seemed to work out well. 

Ingredients:

125g self-raising flour

1 tsp baking powder

100g caster sugar

50g butter - room temperature

50g greek yogurt

2 large eggs

Juice of half a lemon and zest of a lemon

20g poppy seeds

A few leaves of fresh basil - finely chopped (plus extra for garnish)

A little icing sugar and a squeeze of lemon juice to decorate if desired (or a drop of gin mixed with icing sugar for an extra treat) 

Method:

The method really was as simple as combining everything together in the stand mixer, pouring into a lined loaf tin and popping in a pre-heated oven at 160C for 35-40 minutes. It actually took 42 minutes in my oven. 

I put the poppy seeds into the mix last but everything else went in at the same time.

I've found that if I use a loaf-tin liner then I don't even need to grease the tin first whereas with baking paper I do tend to grease the tin too. 

The trouble with the loaf shaped cakes is that between the 5 of us, they dissappear rather quickly - A generous sized slice each and it's gone or two thinner slices each if we're trying to eat less of it each time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

We have disabled commenting on the blog due to the volume of spam comments these days. If you want to get in touch, please ping us a message on social media.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...